Statement: SCOTUS Decision on PASPA
In light of the landmark Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) decision to lift the widespread ban on sports betting and turn the matter over to the discretion of individual states, senior executives at Sportradar, the international leader in providing sports betting and integrity services across all facets of the industry, offers the following perspectives and marketplace predictions, based upon decades of experience on this matter in markets around the world, to assist media in the coverage of today’s news.
Quotes for Attribution Related to the SCOTUS Decision
“In the aftermath of this landmark decision, and considering the many ways this seismic shift will impact the landscape, it is critical to create a framework that enables U.S. sports fans to engage in the sports and competitions they follow and love, through a safe and secure wagering infrastructure that balances the priorities and needs of all stakeholders.”
Carsten Koerl, Founder and CEO, Sportradar
“The actual, factually proven benefits to legalized, regulated betting on sports far outweigh the misperceived fears and unfounded concerns many have on this topic. In addition to the obvious benefit, which is taking a significant amount of this activity, estimated by some to be in the range of $190 billion annually, out of the shadows and into the light where it can be administered and regulated appropriately, there is also the obvious benefits of tax revenue, job creation, consumer protection and broader overall economic impact to consider.
Prof. Dr. Laila Mintas, Ph. D, Deputy President U.S. Sportradar
“All key stakeholders, including leagues, operators, regulators and law enforcement, need to work together and partner with the most reputable service providers to establish best-in-class systems and safeguards overseeing integrity in US sports. The public will need to see that in place, and working well, because the reality is that integrity protection will be non-negotiable in the new normal that is sports betting in the U.S.”
Prof. Dr. Laila Mintas, Ph.D.
“As sport continues to look for new ways to engage fans, legalized betting can serve as not only a catalyst to achieve that goal, but also a growth engine across the entire ecosystem – leagues, teams, networks, municipalities – of an industry that plays an important part in the fabric of American society.”
Prof. Dr. Laila Mintas, Ph.D.
U.S. Marketplace Predictions – Prof. Dr. Laila Mintas, Ph.D.
- Initially, the sports betting market will be chaotic in terms of everyone settling in post-decision and determining go-forward plans
- It is likely that every state’s approach to regulation will be different to some degree; resulting in a complex marketplace and a need for clear strategic decisions and counsel
- And, if the regulation approach is not attractive to any number of stakeholders, how will this affect the emergence of the market. For instance, how many bookmakers will really enter the market to provide a safe, secure avenue for legal sports betting
- Will bettors that have been participating for years in the black markets switch to regulated offers?
- Big media companies will likely enter the marketplace and become bookmakers or simply add turn key solutions to their current offerings as they have the existing customer base and access to those consumers’ wallets
- Spend by online bookies – on average they spend over 25% of their total revenues on marketing – will be the next big driver of growth in sports sponsorship; will leagues choose to embrace these types of companies as partners, given most are already doing business with a fantasy sports organization?
About Sportradar Integrity Services
As the world’s leading supplier of integrity monitoring, prevention and intelligence solutions working with over 70 sports federations and leagues globally including here in the US the NBA, MLS and NHL, Sportradar offers the most comprehensive and multi-faceted integrity services to combat betting-related match-fixing in the industry. Throughout the company’s long history, Sportradar has worked across the sports landscape, supporting federations, leagues, clubs and government authorities, with leading solutions to detect, investigate and prevent betting-related match-fixing. Sportradar’s integrity work has assisted in over 250 individuals being found guilty of match-fixing related offenses in sporting disciplinary proceedings or criminal courts.